[Year 12 IT Apps] OT Maths jobs ahoy!

Alex Hopkins a.hopkins at bcc.vic.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 14:13:13 EST 2007

Hi Kent,

Yeah, they (ie the media and others) seem to be talking up the opportunities
available in WA.  But I was speaking to a friend last night who had just
returned from a brief study trip to WA, where he was doing research into the
education system, and he painted a picture a little less rosy.  Salaries of
graduates are higher than elsewhere, but at the higher end salaries are less
than equivalents here, so that the range is compressed in comparison to
other states.  Then, it is difficult to get on-going employment, as opposed
to contract employment, in Perth in the state system; the reasoning is to
get teachers out into the countryside and to give those who are in the
remote parts some chance of getting to Perth.  WA is a pretty big state, you
know.  The effect is stress for teachers, the inability of principals to
plan ('cos they don't know who they'll have from one year to the next), and
parents wanting to send their kids to private schools where there is more
stability of staff.  But what really blew apart the WA dream for me was when
he said that in the outback, it isn't just the land surveyor, it's the bloke
who carries the land surveyor's theodolite and the cleaner who are on higher
salaries than the teacher.  I've also heard from a couple of other different
friends that the cost of accommodation is pretty horrific. So I'm starting
to question that the W.A. dream of $20,000 above Victorian teachers wages is
as fair dinkum as recent newspaper reports have suggested.

-Alex Hopkins

Bayside Christian College

  _____