[Year 12 IT Apps] Large attachments

Robert Hind robert at yinnar.com
Sun Dec 31 08:46:20 EST 2006

Perhaps a New Year resolution for us all!

I was out of the city over the New Year weekend and had only a dial-up connection available. So found a recent email + attachment from the list a very slow download at 668K in size. Interesting but -

even with broadband, why take up time and space sending large attachments to everyone. Could we upload any interesting materials to a suitable place and send out details of the materials in the email together with a link for those who are interested.

As a sidelight, it is interesting to note just how much the email encoding increases the size. In the above example the email came in at 668K but the attachment itself was only 493K. I have read somewhere - source lost in the mists of time - that MIME encoding can increase the size by up to 50%.  Tried it out for myself by composing two emails with attachments. Three .jpg files total size 1,740K created an email of size 2,386K while one .bmp file of 9,259K created an email of size 12,671K

Robert Hind (Semi-retired)
Ex Traralgon and Ashwood