[Year 12 Its] New IS study design query

Frank Van Den Boom vandenboomfj at aquinas.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 12:41:27 EST 2006

Today I started looking more closely at the revised study design to plan
for next year. One of the things that struck me is that it is difficult
to know what the minimum content requirements are in a number of areas.
For example-data structures. I don't think it specifically mentions any
particular data structure. U4O1 key knowledge includes "methods of
organising files....serial, sequential, random" which implies the need
to cover records. Arrays are not specifically referred to and while, it
would be pretty dumb to omit them, are 1-dim arrays enough, or might
exams expect ability to work with multi-dim arrays? What about sets,
pointers....

Another KK point --> 'Forms and uses of data structures to organise and
manipulate data'. Which data structures?? What types of uses?? - all the
oldies like sorting, linked lists, queues, binary searches etc are
possible here.

Now I know we have the flexibility to cover as much of this as we want
to for the kids who are really into it, particularly for those who
already have a reasonable programming foundation as they enter the
course. But what I don't know is what the minimum requirement is. This
becomes more important when most of your group have little to no
programming experience.

What do you think about this?
Frank