FW: [Year 12 Its] New IS study design query

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 16 10:40:45 EST 2006

The forthcoming implementation CD will give you exactly what you're
looking for  :-)

Frank Van Den Boom wrote:
> I was a bit surprised to only get one response to the question below a
> couple of weeks ago. Does that mean that nobody else finds this
> difficult to judge?
> Imagine you were an experienced IT practioner and you came in to teach
> this course with no prior knowledge of it and you were trying to figure
> out what depth was required in programming. So you look at the following :
> 1. Study design - very hard to know (see comments in original message)
> 2. 2006 IS exam - nothing beyond nested IF's - nothing involving arrays,
> records, files. One question with a loop was only concerned with
> identifying variable types, but not control or data structures.
> 3. Previous exams - basic use of 1-dim array, basic looping
> 3. VITTA practice exams - suggest you need to have a solid understanding
> of arrays, records, file processing and parameter passing.
> 4. Text books - cover algorithms for stacks, queues, linked lists etc
>
> At the end of the day, past exams to me are the only general indicator
> of the depth to cover. Is there a reason why the study design
> can't spell this out more clearly?
>
> Frank

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000  <<< NEW NUMBER
School Fax +613 95789253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.