[Year 12 Its] Ideas for starting programming

Guy Flaherty gflahert at xavier.vic.edu.au
Mon Nov 13 13:55:39 EST 2006

Hi Frank,

Take a look at the links in Tony's post. They cover a lot of interesting
stuff. A few more I like are:

http://www.djangoproject.org
A web framework that makes building web apps a breeze! Honestly, I have been
using this extensively and it makes things fun again! We were building all
our apps in PHP or Java before and it was pretty monotonous and boring. With
Django, you can produce excellent database-backed apps in a very short time.
I thoroughly recommend it.

http://pythonchallenge.com/index.htm
The Python challenge is a very interesting programming challenge that you will
either love or get bored with very quickly. You get clues to a puzzle that
you can only solve by using python programming! Might be a little hard for
students, but may be of interest to teachers who like cryptic challenges or
puzzles that test their basic programming skills!

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/
The Python Cookbook is chocked full of 'recipes' that can help you to learn
the language. Some complex, some simple, but a wealth of examples of how to
solve problems!

http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/pointal/python/pqrc/
The Python Quick Reference Card. This is a fantastic resource for teachers and
anyone using Python. Download it and print it out in colour and you get an
excellent reference card that covers a huge amount in 16 A4 pages. Great for
when students ask you something you are not familiar with or when you can't
remember an option for a command!

I heartily recommend you give Python a try if you haven't already. It isn't
right for everything but it is extremely flexible and works well on Win, Mac
and Linux. Google, Apple, Yahoo and many other well known companies have
really started to rely on Python to get things done. Even game companies are
starting to see the benefit of cross platform with games like World of
Warcraft making use of Python.

Personally, Python is a pleasure to work with and is a fantastic tool to have
in the classroom. This year I taught IS with Python, PyQT, Eric3 (as the IDE)
and a linux Virtual Machine image to students with a VB background. Didn't
cost the school or the students a cent. Works well.

Cheers,
Guy Flaherty