[Year 12 Its] Ideas for starting programming

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Mon Nov 13 10:37:12 EST 2006

Consider GameMaker www.gamemaker.nl

This language has very easy entry through drag and drop programming but also
a sophisticated scripting language which includes structures including:
Stacks Queues Lists Maps Priority Queues Grids

Though good for games and therefore highly motivating, GameMaker can be used
for the traditional school fare of databases, data validation and GUI's see
samples at http://www.freewebs.com/schoolgamemaker/#samples

The unregistered version is free, that means students can legally work at
home and they will, game programming is highly motivating.

See http://www.users.on.net/~billkerr/index.htm for lesson plans for the SA
curriculum