[Year 12 Its] New kid on the block

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 10 11:34:24 EST 2006

Hi all.  Next year I'm taking IS/SoD (or whatever fond abbreviation will
be used) for the first time.

I've just had a look at the 2006 IS exam to get a feel for things.

Do IS people do exam post mortems?

Anyway, some ignorant thoughts...

One small quibble is the spelling of Shneiderman  I too only found out
this year that there's no "c" after the "s".  (source -
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ben)

A2b and B10a refer to a "type of network".  I find the word "type"
ambiguous: does it mean LAN/WAN or P2P/Client-server , or indeed "Ethernet"?

BTW - Do IS teachers have a protocol for referring to exam questions ...
specifying the section, question number and subquestion's letter? I hope
you can understand which questions I'm referring to in the para above.

B13 - Is it my imagination or is the first dotpointed implementation
option (running both systems at the same time) basically impossible? How
could 2 different control systems run the same system at the same time
without causing chaos?  Or is that what the kids were supposed to point out?

B17 - again, maybe it's my imagination or ignorance, or are objectives 2
and 3 mututally exclusive.  How can no more than 2 errors per month be
recorded (objective 2) AND record all errors (objective 3)?  Something
fishy?

Does objective 2 mean "no more than 2 errors per month will HAPPEN"?
Otherwise, objective 2 as it stands means "Only record the first 2
errors and ignore all the others"!

Cheers

Mark

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000  <<< NEW NUMBER
School Fax +613 95789253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.