[Year 12 Its] Re: [Technical] OT - Anti-Virus Software for Network - a Query

Con Zymaris conz at cyber.com.au
Fri May 19 07:01:02 EST 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:17:28PM +1000, Keith Richardson wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> We are seeking your advice and/or thoughts about 'good' anti-virus
> software that we will be able to use for our 100 or so computers.
> We have been using VET happily for some years, but they are making
> forced changes we are not happy about so we are looking elsewhere.
>
> Our Technician is very interested in:
>
> Symantec anti virus.
>
> We have windows 98 2000 & XP workstations.
>
> Our network rund on Novel Servers
>
> We are looking at changing our Anti-Virus solution to Symantec Antivirus
> Corp
> Edition 10.0 with Symantec Mail Security 4.1 for SMTP.
>
> Has anyone tried these products and how did they find them?

You have two questions:

 1) What's a good network-capable AV
 2) Is Symantec any good.

I can't answer 2) but in response to 1), ClamAV is a good anti-virus
product which you can install on all your workstations and can also be
installed as an SMTP scanner as well as a network share scanner.

ClamAV is available for a number of platforms, including Windows 98, 2000
and XP, Linux and Mac OS X, and is free to download and use on as many
computers as you please for now and in perpetuity:

 http://www.clamav.net/
 http://www.clamwin.com/

Cheers,

Con Zymaris

- CEO, Cybersource Pty. Ltd.
- Director, Open Source Industry Australia, Limited.
- Convenor, Open Source Victoria (A Government-funded industry cluster.)