[Year 12 Its] Ongoing misinformation about topology

Don Morelli Edumail morelli.don.a at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Aug 17 14:47:08 EST 2006

I agree that the books are very vague about networks and we can complain to
the authors and I assume that many have, but it doesn't seem to be doing
much to improve what is being written about this topic.

We need to remember that when we are dealing with the concept of networks,
that we cover the 3 areas of topology, protocol and type of network
separately and then the relationship between them. We then also need to
cover what is commonly used in organisations today (hybrid). Often the books
will say that a star network has a central fileserver, which is confusing
the topology (star network) and the type of network (possibly client
server). We need to make sure that the kids know the difference between
these 3 areas and don't confuse them further by only having the books as
examples.

I did not know until about 2 years ago that token ring was named for the
protocol and not for the topology (star). I thought that it used a token
passing protocol on a ring topology. These lists are fantastic for clearing
up any misconceptions that we have, as it did for me, so keep posting and
people in the know will keep answering.

If we get these clear in our own minds then we won't confuse the kids.

Cheers Don Morelli

  _____