[Year 12 Its] Degree of Difficulty for Outcome 3

Alex and Alison Hopkins alexali at surf.net.au
Tue May 31 22:00:32 EST 2005

Dear Robert,

Thanks for the helpful response.

Could I ask one supplementary question.  I'm using VB .NET with my
students.  I've been programming in the language for about two years.
There are many tasks where my first response to a programming challenge
is to check a reference book - or the code snippets that can be stored
for reference within the Visual Studio toolbox - for information on the
syntax of a particular operation.  In such a situation the challenge
isn't remembering the syntax but applying to the coding context the
logic that is required;  the syntax is secondary.  To what degree is it
intended that students' use of such resources be restricted / opened?
Even 'simple' i/o using Stream Readers/Writers in Net seems
syntactically more difficult than putting a front-end to a db.

Again, much thanks for the comments.

Alex Hopkins
Bayside Christian College