[Year 12 Its] Re: Internal documentation

Charmaine Taylor tigeroz at alphalink.com.au
Tue May 24 01:14:51 EST 2005

In my view the technical documentation is a primary data source. The
technical documentation is written for those who maintain or update the
structure of the software application. In essence, it explains how the
software works eg which procedures do what, what variables are used and
why, and how to change these. The name or origin of the author is
irrelevant: the fact that the document is supplied with the application
and thus authorised by the producers specifies it as primary data.
I guess a means of distinction would be to ask "Is the information an
interpretation of some fact/event that might be interpreted differently
by another author with a different bias". Does that help?

I gather from the debate which admittedly I have not followed closely
that some think the options must be one primary and one secondary data
source. I believe they are both primary data sources. There seems to be
confusion about mixing internal/external documentation and
primary/secondary data sources - Its always a dangerous practice to mix
your drinks!

Charmaine Taylor
Sunbury Downs College