[Year 12 Its] off topic (a little) sharing data between databasesand spreadsheets

Rob Attrill attrill.robert.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue May 17 11:20:31 EST 2005

Robert Timmer-Arends wrote:

>Rob
>
>when you import does the import wizard fire up? If so you should get to
>specify the column data format for each column (step 3 of my version)
>I don't know id this helps but I've had similar thing with student CASES
>codes where, for example, MAR04 becomes 4th March
>
>Regards
>Robert T-A

Hi Robert and also Michael, and thanks for both comments

Robert, the 'cases code as date' issue was my first suspicion. I've seen
that often. Michael's comment about numerical time seems to be on the
ball (but Michael, how on earth did that explanation ever occur to
you?). The administrative person who handed me the problem is now going
away to create a form 11P and 12P to see if they import as numerical
11PM and numerical 12PM. We did look at the wizard on the assumption
that it might be a fix for this problem, but didn't think to consider
numerical time. How obscure and silly  a  problem -  Excel excels itself.

The important thing though is that I am now able to scratch the itch and
get on with other things

regards

Rob Attrill