[Year 12 Its] RE: IPM 2006 Study Design

Rob Attrill attrill.robert.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Apr 15 17:55:44 EST 2005

Hi all,

this debate reminds me of a little wooden plaque we were suppose to
create when I was doing woodwork at Mildura Technical School in 1962 (0r
'63 - the memory fades). The slogan we had to put on the plaque, as I
recall, had to read:

"Practice without theory is a tree without roots, theory without
practice is a tree without fruits"

Not much has changed in the past 40 years. The message then (and now) is
that neither works without the other. But to me, kids are first
attracted by the fruits, interest in the rest of the tree follows - we
should be working from where the kids are, not from where we want them
to be.

Rob Attrill
Mill Park Secondary College