[Year 12 IPM] Visio and concept mapping

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Mon Sep 11 09:12:14 EST 2006

I've noticed that people have been looking at Visio to create mind
maps/concept maps. I'm concerned that teachers (and Microsoft) are
confusing the end product of mind mapping with the process. While Visio
is an effective diagramming tool I'm not sure it was designed with
brainstorming in mind. Its mind map template seems like an afterthought
and does not follow sound mind mapping principles (free flow,
brainstorming). Tools such as Inspiration, Freemind and CMap Tools are
built around the process of brainstorming to create maps (especially
Inspiration and Freemind) and facilitate the production of, for example,
essay outlines and web site creation quite transparently. CMap Tools is
a little different and focuses on concept development and syntactical
structures in the production of a map, but will still export its
structure to an outline or web.

As far as I can see, Visio focuses on putting boxes or other shapes on
paper and connecting them and is an excellent tool to polish up a
network diagram, organisation chart or a freehand mind map. The
differing emphasis is subtle but significant. Mind mapping software is
focused on the topology of ideas and concepts and attempts to organise a
flow of thought.

Laurie
--
Laurie Savage