[Year 12 IPM] Computer Lab usage

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 7 11:40:08 EST 2006

Agree entirely.  Long teaching sessions do not require that all activities
in those sessions are lengthened. The problem though is intensity of
commitment.  Even moving from one intense intellectual activity to another
students get intellectually fatigued in a long session.  The pressure is
then to introduce a significant component of "fun" into the session.
Inevitably, this means that time allocated to the subject is then used for
activities that there was no time for in the past.  Thus a significant
number of high intellectual commitment tasks are edged out of the
curriculum.  The fact that this is the case is often dressed over with the
introduction of IT and multimedia as a way of making low level intellectual
content look more impressive (kahootz, powerpoint, movies, etc).

To ensure that this dumbing down process does not continue ad nauseam, we
need carefully constructed and public curriculum (not another framework !)
that ensures that there is some quality control on the activities.  Then, it
would not matter what length the sessions were as the scope and rigor of
activities could be publicly evaluated.
In fact, longer sessions and the accompanying trend towards "tutor among the
students" rather than "teacher out front" is actually a much more pleasant
and less arduous role.
As students take on more responsibility for their own learning, the teacher
has less responsibility for it.  As students self-initiate, the teacher has
to guide and advise, which are far les intensive than planning and
supervising all steps - as in the past.  When the motivated and highly able
students blossom and excel under this approach, the teacher can feel pride
and satisfaction.  When other students, use their freedom as license to do
little, the teacher can respond that all opportunities and encouragements
were provided.
As I often say to students and parents, "education is an opportunity - not a
guarantee".

The only problem with this plan is that it does not cater for students who
are ineducable due to parenting failure.  These students need a strong
combined training (cf education) regime to build skills and attitudes which
have not been learnt prior to formal schooling, and slow introduction of
educational approaches and concepts.

Having taught in tech, high, combined and primary settings, I feel that
there needs to be far more variety of offering, not only in curriculum, but
in school organisation AND complete alternatives to schools...

(Volubility born of having just finished managing another reporting cycle !)

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto:admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx:
9555 8617

"Life without you would be like a broken pencil." "How's that?"  "Completely
pointless."
Blackadder, Series II