[Year 12 IPM] OT: policies on iPod and listening to music

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Fri Oct 6 11:19:11 EST 2006

In case you can't find your copy, the article said...

DEVICES once unwelcome in the classroom
are being used creatively in Victorian schools to
engage students with effective learning.
Digital music players such as iPods allow
students to express themselves in contemporary
and socially relevant ways, fostering
communication, social and literacy skills,
according to Lynne Davie, manager of DE&T’s
eLearning Unit.
“Rather than being merely for entertainment,
students are using these devices for recording
stories and images, sharing impressions and
reinforcing concepts they have been learning,”
Ms Davie said.
Recognising the potential, DE&T’s
Innovations Branch is supporting classroom
teachers with a number of projects across
Victoria exploring the potential of digital music
players and similar devices for learning,
teaching and assessment.
Ms Davie said recording devices attached to
the players meant students could collect
information from the world around them,
reflect and process their ideas and
understandings.
“Students can use the devices to record their
thoughts, ideas, activities and excursions and
these can then be downloaded and shared,
connecting them with others and becoming part
of a larger world.”
Podcasting also enabled students and
teachers to communicate with a wider audience,
locally and globally.
At Kealba Secondary College newly arrived
refugee students are recording stories of their
journey to Australia using the technology.
Digital recording devices are also enabling
round the clock access to learning.
At Wanganui Park Secondary College in
Shepparton, podcasts and iPods are used to
create a virtual classroom outside school hours.
Teachers record lessons, which the students can
download at anytime and replay as often as they
need to feel confident and in command of the
concepts being discussed.
In August, Jay Milne from Barwon Valley
School in Geelong won the Smart Geelong
Network Researcher of the Year Award for
Teaching and Learning for his innovative and
effective use of iPods in the classroom.
His project was directed at students with
severe intellectual and physical disabilities who
had the capacity to achieve literacy and
behavioural goals.
“We created individualised content in
sequence in the photo menu, or we created
videos that featured students modelling
appropriate behaviours,” said Mr Milne.
“Students needed only the fine motor skills to
use an iPod to view images, videos and text.
“The device really appeals because it is such a
controlled and utterly predictable environment.
This is perfect for autistic students who love to
watch the same movie over and over again.”
Students from Barwon Valley School are also
using the technology at home to develop their
independent living skills.
For further information on the effective use
of iPods for learning or the Emerging
Technologies Projects contact Rita Ellul on
ellul.rita.t at edumail.vic.gov.au