[Year 12 IPM] A tip for outcome writing

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 23 15:26:04 EST 2006

For those newbie IT teachers out there, or those who are nervous about
creating your own ITA outcomes, here's a strategy I use to make sure my
task is going to be kosher.

I call it the 'reverse-engineered outcome technique'.  I hope it helps
someone out there.

1.  Find the IT assessment handbook - pale-blue and white cover.  If you
don't have it, get it.  You need it.

2.  Find your outcome in the handbook and read the descriptor for the
top mark range (e.g. 25-30 marks for U3O2, task 1).  Break it down into
its constituent parts.  The parts should neatly fall into categories
like Analysis, Design, Development and Evaluation.

3.  Create analysis questions that force students to address the
analysis descriptors.

4.  Create design tasks that cover the design descriptors. e.g. if a
descriptor says "including file handling and data protection
techniques", make sure your design forces students to provide design of
those things.

5.  Create a task that forces students to exercise skills mentioned in
the Development descriptors (e.g. "Highly developed skills in the use of
appropriate software ... to produce a prototype site... that
demonstrates those components... that support collaborative
problem-solving and knowledge sharing."

If your task is based on that descriptor, you can't go too far wrong.
Note that "problem-solving" is a key point in the descriptor.

6.  Create evaluation questions or activities that force students to
exercise the skills described in the Evaluation descriptors.

--

The assessment advice is pretty broad, so if you're unsure what a
descriptor means, refer to the key skills (and key knowledge) in the

When finished, read your outcome again. As skills are exercised and
student knowledge is mined in the outcome, tick them off in the study
design.  If everything's there, it's bound to be a nutritious outcome
with 100% of recommended daily intake of IT.

OK.  I'll come quietly, officer.

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000  <<< NEW NUMBER
School Fax +613 95789253

IT Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.