[Year 12 IPM] Where do I go...

Andrew Grimshaw grimshaw.andrew.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Nov 16 11:49:15 EST 2006

HI

i agree that the standards are written in pretty heavy jargon - maybe we sho=
uld post up the text of the standards and start discussing how we interpret=
 them? I'll start the first one below

in my school i am coming to create projects (next year), in collaboration wi=
th  teachers from  other KLAs, to ensure we meet all the standards

I will of course share these projects with the list.

Level 5: ICT for visualising thinking
"Students select and apply ICT tools and editing functions that support the=
 filtering, classifying, representing and organising of ideas, concepts and=
 issues. "

As a maths/science teacher my first thought reading this one was using excel=
 to analyse data, create averages, etc and produce charts. We also use some=
 physics data-logging software in yr9-10 that works in will with this. The a=
rt staff use digital portfolios (powerpoint/producer)- the students collect=
 images of their own work and intersperse it with images and text from art h=
istory/theory to show how what they have learnt and how it has influenced th=
eir work. I think Powerpoint in general is a good application for this stand=
ard in the humanities as long as the kids are actually being selective with=
 the info and are presenting it in some kind of logical order. Webpage creat=
ion is also a good application for this standard (here this is currently onl=
y done by about 30% of 9-10s and no 7-8s)

Anyway these are my ramblings. What does everyone else think?

andrew grimshaw
colac college