[Year 12 IPM] ICT Progression Points

Brendyn Hancock hancobr at nagle.sale.catholic.edu.au
Wed Nov 8 15:56:20 EST 2006

Why have the progression points if your are just going to ignore them and go back to the standards. In maths etc the progression points help give them clarity etc to the standards.

Even if we go back to the standards there is still a lot of questions that are unanswered. Still a lot of interpreting that needs to be done. What I think is sad is that the ideas behind vels are very well founded and terrific, but because of presentation/delivery of the ICT section of it you will end up getting (and I have seen examples of this already) people just rewriting the same old same old, placing a new column to the left titled VELS and putting 4.24 in it. No development. No progression towards integration of ICT into the curriculum just re-badging of the same stuff.

I'll hop down now.

Regards

Brendyn

>>> humples at santamaria.vic.edu.au 08/11/2006 3:17 pm >>>
Re progression points:

When the progression points for ICT came out, I was quite distressed about how different they were to the standards. The points seemed to me to be very prescriptive. When I rang and spoke to a manager at the VCAA about this, his advice was to focus on the standards; that the progression points are just examples or illustrations of the types of things students might be doing at each progression point. He said that the progression points aren't prescriptive at all.

So, my understanding from that is to basically ignore the progression points, concentrate on the standards, and develop your own progression points for the particular work you are doing, and the particular software, based on the ideas given in the progression points.

Hope this helps.

Ms Lesley Humphries
Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Santa Maria College