[Year 12 IPM] Relevant Acts for IT applications

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 8 13:30:59 EST 2006

I'm getting there slowly.

The Privacy Act 1988 can be downloaded from
http://www.privacy.gov.au/act/privacyact/index.html

A scan of the act does refer to $3 million turnover, the holding of
health info, and the trading in personal information, so it seems the
old act now DOES indeed include the Private Sector amendment act.

And the old familiar privacy rules seem to apply.  So, folks, it seems
that we teach the same old privacy rules, but we no longer have to
explain who is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and the Privacy Act
(Private Sector) Amendment Act 2000.  There is One Act to Rule Them All.

I assume the old copyright act similarly includes the digital agenda so
we also can treat it as a one-stop illogical legal shop (until new
copyright laws get passed.)

Christophersen, Paula P wrote:
> Mark, they are automatically subsumed, so they are operational. This is
> the advice that we received when the study was being developed, and this
> was again confirmed by our Principal Legal Officer.
>
> If you find out any further information, can you please share it with
> us.
>
> Regards
> Paula
>
> Paula Christophersen
> ICT Curriculum Manager
> Victorian Curriculum and Assessment
> Authority
> 41 St Andrews Place
> EAST MELBOURNE 3002
> Phone: 03 9651 4378
> Fax: 03 9651 4324

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000  <<< NEW NUMBER
School Fax +613 95789253

IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.