[Year 12 IPM] ICT Progression Points

Christophersen, Paula P christophersen.paula.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 8 09:49:19 EST 2006

Hi Litsa

Good questions you ask - here is a short response. If you wish to
discuss things further, please do not hesitate to give me a ring.

Let's start at the beginning. Firstly, government schools do not have to
report on ICT until next year (only English and Maths are required this
year). I'm not certain what stance the CEO has taken on this matter
regarding the phasing in of the VELS.

Secondly, it is intended, that regardless of where students acquire
their ICT skills, they use their ICT knowledge and skills within their
other areas of learning. So, even if you don't have 'dedicated IT
classes', students would still be expected to demonstrate the ICT
standards in other areas of learning. This means that individual
teachers take responsibility to providing learning programs that cover
not only their discipline domain but also ICT.  As you suggested, this
means integrating these ICT knowledge and skills into the other learning
and assessment programs.

The progression points assist teachers in making judgments about how
their students are progressing against the standards. There are only a
few examples of evidence that you would typically see at each of the
progression points, so they are illustrative only - your school would
need to develop their own sets of evidence to match the aspects of the
standards that are being addressed in your learning program. Of course,
some of the published progression points may suit your course - if there
aren't any, they provide a good basis upon which you can develop your
own.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paula