[Year 12 IPM] music copyright

Jeffrey Lynn jslynn at optusnet.com.au
Sun Nov 5 18:58:22 EST 2006

The copyright issue is legally quite clear: you can make one copy of a
computer program disk (CD or DVD) for backup purposes but it is illegal to
copy music CDs or DVDs for any purpose. Technically, the copies of CDs I
have in my car so I don't damage or lose my originals are quite illegal. As
I have discussed with my students (and as Mark says), there is no logic to
this, just law. However, the chances of my being prosecuted for having such
copies are fairly remote - as the copies are not for resale, redistribution,
or profit, the law is not too interested in wasting time and money
prosecuting. The real villains they are after are pirates churning out
illegal copies for sale and profit. That does not alter the fact that my
copies ARE illegal!

Note too that the copyright laws are in the process of being changed and are
expected to be enacted in 2007.

Jeff Lynn,
Yeshivah/Beth Rivkah Colleges