[Year 12 IPM] IPM Exam

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 1 19:43:54 EST 2006

Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:
> At the risk of exposing my level of rational thinking at this stage of the year...
>
> Q 10. I tend to agree with David and choose C. a quick reference card.
> The question only refers to the installation of the network printer, and surely a computer support person would not need a technical reference manual to INSTALL the printer.

But quick reference cards are not produced for technical people.
They're for average end-users.
How many technical quick reference cards have you seen?

> Q. 16 I found totally ambiguous
> In terms of time saved then surely a wireless connection is less faster to actually connect (eg when I want to synch my phone with my laptop I bluetooth because otherwise I would spend 3 hours looking for the cable)

I'll assume you meant to type "is faster to connect" rather than "is
less fast to connect"

> Same would go for IR printer connections etc (I remember printing via IR at McKinnonSC and it certainly saved time by not having to connect to the network first to print - in 2000 - before the days of wireles network cards)
> I tossed up about the time savings in terms of the speed of a USB connection compared to the speed of the wireless connection but eventually decided that in MY work and home life wireless saves me time.
> In cost terms though you wuld have to go for the USB connection.

But in terms of megabits per second, USB poos on wireless and IR. After
connection is made (and USB takes - one second?)...
USB bandwidth is 480 Mbps
Wireless is 48 Mbs at best
serial IR is 115.2Kbps

So, assuming you can find the cables, USB is by far the fastest, and
therefore the most efficient... (Firewire is the only competitor)

> That's my 2 cents worth for the multiple choice - I await with baited breath your contribution for the short answer section Mark...

Howdy Ros.  My breath was bated, but after going through the exam it's
all a bit of an anticlimax.  I couldn't pick too many big faults with
it; just some minor quibbles. A bit of a bore, actually, but I guess I'd
prefer an exam to be boring instead of sensational and controversial.

I'm sure your lad did well!  :-)

[For onlookers, I taught Ros' son IPM this year... talk about pressure!]

> Cheers
>
> Ros Meadows
> Lauriston Girls School
> meadowsro at lauriston.vic.edu.au <mailto:meadowsro at lauriston.vic.edu.au>
> meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
>
> Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.
> Doug Larson

> I've just posted my thoughts on section A at http://vceit.com
>
> Seemed quite OK to me... shock, horror!
>
> We'll see how Section B fares!
>
> --
> Mark Kelly
> Manager - Information Systems
> McKinnon Secondary College

Manager - Information Systems
Direct line / Voicemail: 8520 9085
School Phone +613 8520 9000 << new number!
School Fax   +613 9578 9253

IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List