[Year 12 IPM] Your suggestions please

Geoff Moss geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Mar 30 08:55:09 EST 2006

Following Keith's suggestions, an integrated activity would provide some
cohesiveness for the course and could be used to maintain student interest.

Integated tasks were the vogue for typing textbooks in the "good ole days".

It is just a matter of creating a variety of scenarios in which each
task/outcome could be focused upon.
We could provide the scenario to students or create a framework within which
they could flesh out the organisation from their own investigations or
input.  We could provide the basis of the data and databases for the DBMS
that fits within the scenario.  The scenario should lend itself to the
development of multimedia / website development.

The trials outcomes could be parallel exercises in a similar integrated
study, so that the students are only focusing on one or two organisations
for the year.

The advantage of an integrated approach would be creating an organisational
framework for the year's study and allowing a more indepth study of the
organisation.  The students could then feel part of the organisation and may
be able to identify goals and objectives more easily because it is part of
an ongoing study.

If we felt more adventurous, or had a number of scenarios, we could offer
students a choice or scenario in which we could develop similar activities.
A joint or competitive atmosphere could be created in the classroom from the
different scenarios.  (Obviously, we would need to be very conscious of
making activities and outcomes of the same difficulty for each scenario.)

Examples of possible scenarios include:
Video Games store
Retail Nursery
Online business - e.g. providing gifts, flowers, cosmetics, etc
Travel or tour company
Local tradesman / tradeswoman
Fitness Club
Recreational / sporting club
Local Council - an outline example of a possible case study, which needs to
be expanded, cn be found in Chapter 15 of the Pitman book: InfoTech 2000
(Clancy, Kelly & Walker) - needs development of multimedia component
The Malthouse Theatre - Chptr 14 of above title. - needs development of
multimedia component

Geoff Moss
RMIT