[Year 12 IPM] OT: Girls in IT (was LAN gaming)

Laurie Savage sav at pvgc.vic.edu.au
Thu Mar 16 22:49:27 EST 2006

I work in a girls' school. It is not a highly academic school (northern
suburbs, large NESB, mostly low socio-economic backround) but we do not
have problems with kids not using the computers at lunch-time. We
effectively have a computer club without calling it such.

What are we doing? Several things from several teachers.

I have set up a Moodle and that is creating several communities.
Examples - our integration aides have set up a social course as has our
librarian with her book club. I have maintained an open door policy with
our Moodle front page so we have ongoing conversations about football,
bears, the Moodle logo, global warming and anything else students suggest.

We run an animation competition - our students work with Flash MX and
have been exposed to it since about year 8 or 9.

We teach web design quite extensively (I'm afraid I am a stickler fro
standards and accessibilty) and students need to maintain their web
pages, and while this often consists of finding yet another animated
background, they are maintaining them with Notepad or Dreamweaver!

We have students using Illustrator, Fireworks and Photoshop. Completing
projects and extending existing projects.

They are having fun, learning industry standard software and quite a few
have moved into the industry. I have senior students running small
design boutiques for their friends' bands or Freeza committees.

I have never enjoyed computer games myself and as far as I know none of
my colleagues do either, but we are managing to interest our students in
computing.

LS

--
Laurie Savage
Student Assessment, Reporting and Tracking