[Year 12 IPM] Dot plotting software

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:33:28 EST 2006

When I visit the doctor, he usually snaps on the rubber gloves and prods a
bit before telling me that I am still healthy enough with room for
improvement. I am average but I think the average has moved (pokes at
expanding midline)

I suppose that he could give me a multipage report ranking my probable life
expectancy, telomere damage and detailed germ line faults with a database
full of medical image slices to carry home on a USB key. Raw medical data is
full of creepy numbers and observations that could be taken out of context
or not mean much to the lay person.

I reckon that assessment teaching is a bit like that .. a process of
synthesis that weaves together many threads. I respect diagnostic tests and
the judgement of my peers but trying to unravel the mess can be like trying
to distill a bucket of speed from a motorbike. It just isnt worth the
trouble, the journey certainly is.

Despite my best efforts at explaining the new reports and ranking system for
my primary aged son, my wife turned the printouts over and over until she
finally figured out with a smile .. "I think the teacher reckons he is
happy". (sigh)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au