[Year 12 IPM] An eye on a novel OS

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 11:26:36 EST 2006

[image: eyeos screengrab
Jul06]<http://www.flickr.com/photos/35945984@N00/201387616/>
EyeOS <http://www.eyeos.org/> is another interesting proof of concept, open
source project that my tech Mike pointed out to me. It is an operating
system that runs on the web. With a standards compliant web browser (Opera,
Firefox etc) , users can work with their documents on-line, run
applications, save and restore their desktop settings. The interface is
clean and quite easy to use.

This is a fascinating idea that worked reasonably fast over my home
broadband connection. It is worth creating a free demonstration account at
http://eyeos.info for 20 min of fun. Interested users can even download an
EyeOS server to install on their own network.

The scope of what users can do on-line is fast changing. It does make me
wonder if this could become a new desktop for groups like Yahoo and Google?
Fascinating topic to discuss with your IT students although it is probably
just worth flicking through the screen grab slideshow and setting up a web
forum to solicit their thoughts and views to kick off a class discussion.

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au