[Year 12 IPM] Photography

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Mon Jul 10 13:34:25 EST 2006

Hi Brendyn - a most interesting question!
>From my experience trying many different approaches, the one that seems
to work quite well is product or results or purpose driven.
For example, I will show the class a few commercial photographs -
portraits perhaps - in which certain photographic techniques have been
used rather well, and which appear, to me eyes at least, to be very
effective photographs to achieve the effect desired by the advertising
agency who contracted for them.
We study the photos, discuss what each is trying to achieve and how well
they did that. We look at a great many of the techniques that would have
been employed - lighting/shadowing, background, framing, angle,
depth-of-focus, computer image manipulation in Photoshop, etc.
We then design a photoshoot contract for ourselves to achieve much the
same effect, and set about defining and aquiring the skills necessary,
then doing it, and constructively criticizing one another's efforts.

Then move on to something quite different, such as a motion shot in
sport or motor racing, or landscape, or architectural, or macro, etc.

By this stage the semester should be finished.

Cheers, Keith

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:26:58 +1000, "Brendyn Hancock"
<hancobr at nagle.sale.catholic.edu.au> said:
> Help.
>
> I have been asked to put together a unit of work on digital photography.
> Year 10, 80min/frtnight. Students already know basic photography skills.
>
> I'm after a basic list of topics or headings that should be covered.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brendyn
>

> Brendyn Hancock
> IT Manager
> Nagle College
> 5152 6122
> Bairnsdale VIC 3875
> opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects.
> Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the
> negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from
> the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any
> affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those
> of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Nagle College,
> Bairnsdale.

Keith Richardson