[Year 12 IPM] Open Office.org and boring Slide Presentations

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 09:49:41 EST 2006

Cool, Office on a stick!

I tried to make my presentations with some of this in mind..

    * Default text so the fonts are large enough to read and default
      style using black text on a plain white background.
    * Dot points are cues for a structured discussion or question stem
      .. not the words to copy down or read out.
    * Avoid writing full sentences and putting full stops at the end of
      statements that are not true sentences.
    * Limit fancy transitions, animations and sounds.
    * Add a summary slide at the end with some closed and open questions
    * Add Pictures that to put a smile on their faces and a giggle in
      their hearts.

What users don't get are the animated body movements, lame jokes and
silly walks but teachers can import their own style sheet  ;-)

Regards Roland

Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:

>Hi all
>
>RE: The recent discussion of OpenOffice.org.
>
>The March copy of ROAM (Australia's Mobile Computing Authority) Magazine (Issue #5)contains a DVD with a version of OpenOffice.org which can be run from a USB Memory Key. The total space needed on the USB Key is 150Mb.
>
>This could be handy for anyone who does not want to install it on their system but still wants to be able to open the 'Impress' (presentation) files, or for those who do not have the capability to download extremely large files, but would like to try out or use OpenOffice.
>
>The magazine costs $9.95 and is a very interesting read also. Lots of other stuff on the DVD too!
>
>There is also an 8 page feature article called "Making Your Presentation" which could be of interest to students and teachers who create slide shows. The top 7 complaints from audiences (probably more business orientated) about presentations were:
>
>1.
>	The speaker read the slides to us - 60.4%
>2.
>	Text so small I couldn't read it - 50.9%
>3.
>	Full sentences instead of bullet points - 47.8%
>4.
>	Slides hard to see because of colour choice - 37.1%
>5.
>	Moving/flying text or graphics - 24.5%
>6.
>	Annoying use of sounds - 22.0%
>7.
>	Overly complex diagrams or charts - 22.0%
>
>In relation to numbers 2 & 3 above I tell the kids they should follow the PPT "Rule of Five" (Something I just invented) - no more than 5 bullet points per slide and no more than 5 words per point. Not a hard and fast rule, but it forces the kids to be succinct in their presentation, and if they just read the slides their presentation will end too soon, so they need to fill in the details, perhaps by using speaker's notes.
>
>Hope you find this info useful.
>
>PS I am in no way associated with ROAM...lol! This is NOT an advertisement for ROAM or OO.O
>
>Cheers
>
>Ros Meadows
>Lauriston Girls' School
>meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
>
>Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.
>Doug Larson
>

>Important -
> [...]

Roland Gesthuizen - ICT Manager - Westall Secondary College
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead