[Year 12 IPM] IPM "Blind Student"

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Fri Feb 3 14:25:21 EST 2006

Hi James,

 Last year I had a visually impaired student in IT Systems . He was unable to see anything.
 With the help of the RVIB he used the program Jaws to "read" the screen and relay it through head phones and to give him the cues as he navigated through the screen. Apart from that he managed on his own with the help of either digitising handouts that I had which was done with the help of the program support people. We didn't use Braille at all and his exam was also digitised though we did have issues with the DFD and network diagrams that required some modification.
 When he drew his network diagrams for SACs, he simply itemised the components and indicated what connections were used for each.
 He achieved a high ENTER score which made all the effort worthwhile although I had to change programming languages just for him at the last minute as the one I was using for the rest of the class was not recognised by Jaws.
 In all , a very rewarding experience.

Regards

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> jamesaheath at yahoo.com.au 02/03/06 01:54pm >>>
Hi,
  At Galen Ctaholic College Wangaratta we have a visually impaired sudent undertaking IPM3/4. Any suggestions we imaging work for Outcome. Any other words of wisdom appreciated.
  Thanks in anticiapation

  James & John