[Year 12 IPM] Linux v XP

Kevork Krozian Kroset at novell1.fhc.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 1 14:41:00 EST 2006

Hi Robert,

 Very interesting question.
 In VET IT Cert III I require my students to install Red Hat and do a number of other tasks ( see attached ) including:

   1. Setting up a web server on Linux and editing at least 1 page
   2. Installing Open Office on Linux and migrating MS Office data files from an XP machine to the Linux machine, edit and migrate back. The point is to show the open source nature of Open Office and how an organisation can migrate to another OS and Application without the high license overhead.
   3. For those who study Systems , install Java JBuilder and migrate their program from the XP install of JBuilder and show how a java program can run on both platforms. This is a plug for Java more than Linux though the experience is good.
   4. For the advanced students install Frontpage server extensions on the Apache web server on Linux and author web pages from a Windows machine using the Frontpage client.

    I could do more but we tend to run out of time ....

Keep Well

Kevork Krozian
IT Manager , Forest Hill College
k.krozian at fhc.vic.edu.au
http://www.fhc.vic.edu.au
Mobile: 0419 356 034

>>> attrill.robert.j at edumail.vic.gov.au 01/31/06 10:48am >>>
Greetings to all,

Apologies to those who for whom this is a cross posting, however, as I
teach/have taught Systems, IPM and IT at year 10 I realised that the
issue would have interested me regardless, so it might interest you as well.

I am planning an install by Year 10 students of a dual boot (XP and Red
Hat) to give them the experience and also to give them a means of
comparison between the two O/S's. I was wondering if anyone has done any
work or created any exercises comparing the two, or has any classroom
type exercise material on Red Hat in particular.

regards

Rob Attrill
Mill Park Secondary College