[Year 12 IPM] Cooking a holiday dinner for an ITA crowd? PM to the rescue!

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 02:05:56 EST 2006

At school, my ITA computer lab is located opposite the college kitchen. The
squeals of delight that ring out from the corners of my classroom are often
quickly silenced by the smells of mouth watering cooking that come drifting
back. It is an ugly battle and unfair competition. Not only do they get more
dangerous toys to play with, their standard issue funny white cooking hats
are cooler to walk about in than wearing USB-key executive
jewellery<http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/3500-goldplated-usb-key-158050.php>.
Time to call a truce.

Here is a bit of light holiday fun I stumbled across by accident. It
explains in considerable detail how to use freezers, spreadsheets, and Gantt
charts to optimize your time and resources. Why bother with the fast food
spaghetti tossed out by MS Project (use
GanttProject<http://ganttproject.biz/>instead ;-) when you can savour
the delicacies dished up with this
complicated looking but elegantly built spreadsheet solution? At a single
stroke, this real world problem might interest all genders, solve your
holiday planning problems and become a great introduction to project
management!
     http://www.instructables.com/id/E7YI0IFN8XEV2Z4ZPX/?ALLSTEPS

Due credit to the CSIRO science by
e-mail<http://www.csiro.au/csiro/content/standard/is1t.html>service
for pointing out the Instructables Website at
http://www.instructables.com the only place on the web where you can teach
students  how to build their very own USB
monster<http://www.instructables.com/id/EVE2DG1FJFES9J4LYE/>,
a six-legged creature with the ability to hook up to USB devices through any
and all of its highly adjustable limbs.

>From the crumpled paper depths of my computer, I wish you all the best for
2007 (wearing my funny hat
too<http://www.flickr.com/photos/35945984@N00/76557857/>).