[Year 12 IPM] Mini PD - Drop-down lists in Excel

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Sat Dec 2 07:50:54 EST 2006

Flat and/or relational - logically they may seem to exist on different
plains, but for me that does not matter.
I like to use with my kids the old analogy of many borrowers and many
things to choose between at the video store - from a borrowers
perspective: "I wonder which videos I will select today"; and from the
individual video's perspective: "I wonder which of these lovely people
will pich me today" shows that there are two ways of looking at this
'borrowing-happening' situation, so maybe the better way to look at it
wholistically is a third way - from the perspective of the 'happening'.
Then we create a "tbl-happening" table linking to both the "tbl-videos"
and the "tbl-borrowers".
So it is not really a big leap to jump to relational database
construction - merely a structure that enables us to represent usefully
a pretty common real-life situation.
After that I will be happy to move on to spreadsheets, with a different
typical life-situation to give spreadsheets a reason-for-being.
Cheers, Keith