[Year 12 IPM] OT - cheaper EWB alternatives

John Barr jbarr at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 15 19:41:07 EST 2006

Not one person in this debate has mentioned engagement levels of kids,
motivation, productivity and impact on lessons.

I used to feel the same way about IWBs, that is, they are simply a piece of
hardware with functionality that can be achieved by other methods. Then I
taught a few lessons (maths, physics and IT) with it and found that using
the tools that came with the board I was able to explain concepts better, my
lessons had more impact, kids were engaged and above all they learnt these
concepts better than "normal" methods. For example, I demonstrated how an
electric motor worked (Yr 12 Physics) using a web site animation. I was able
to pause the animation, annotate it and demonstrate current and magnetic
field directions. This was more powerful than previous methods. Yes I could
have done this hiding behind my notebook but the lesson had more impact with
me being at the board. Being able to switch between my class notes and this
animation led to much more productivity. I really aren't fussed about the
interactivite side of it but I have found that when kids are doing the
demonstrations the rest of the class are more attentive and it gives the
kids a sense of ownership of the lesson structure. I really feel it is a
powerful teaching delivery tool.

Most of the sceptics out there have never taught a class with it. My
challenge to you is to learn the tools that came with the board and then
teach with it for at least 4 or 5 lessons then if you still think it's a
gimmick then that's fine but please consider the kids engagement levels and
the impact on classes rather than the board being a piece of hardware. That
is, take off your IT hat off and put your educationalist hat on.

  _____