[Year 12 IPM] school HDD capacity

Russell Curr RUSSELL at avila.vic.edu.au
Wed Aug 9 08:13:47 EST 2006

Russell Curr
Network Manager
Avila College
Ph: 9831-9645
Fax: 03-9888-1202
email: russell at avila.vic.edu.au

>>> digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au 08/09/06 7:44 am >>>
My questions are these:

1.	How much home drive space do other schools allow for students and
staff?    Students 50Mb with exceptions for special courses  (e.g. graphics)
Staff 200 Mb and continuing to reduce (100Mb next year).

2.	What is your school's total hard disk capacity?   all servers approx
1000 Gb PLUS NAS backup in another building of 800 Mb

3.	Are teachers in your school encouraged to backup their school files
on the school network, or are they asked to use their own personal
equipment?   Since most staff have notebooks with burners, we do not support
them backing up onto the network.  They backup onto CD at their leisure.
When they contribute materials to the "common weal"  i.e. shared intranet
they know that they are secureed by our network backup systems.  Another
incentive to minimise the personal (and sometimes too personal) and maximise
the shared resources.

At Avila:

We provide students with 100 Mb with extra when needed (for Graphics classes)
Staff initially get 100 Mb but can have more if required.

We have 550gig on main server plus another 780 gig on a second volume

All home areas are backed up however all users are still responsible for making their own backups.

cheers
Russell

Stephen Digby, Learning Technology Manager
mailto:admin at cheltsec.vic.edu.au
Cheltenham Secondary College www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au
<http://www.cheltsec.vic.edu.au/>  Ph: 613 955 55 955  Fx: 9555 8617

Watch the stars, and from them learn. To the Master's honour all must turn,
each in its track, without a sound, forever tracing Newton's ground.
Albert Einstein

  _____