[Year 12 IPM] RE: Electronic Markbook

Dunlop, Susan M dunlop.susan.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Apr 3 14:38:27 EST 2006

I am trialling the ATC Electronic Teachers Chronicle.  Last year a free
trial version arrived mid year.  It was fully functional so I installed
it to give it a try.  I think the same offer will be available this year
for a free trial version.

It runs within Access and has many of the structures of an Access
database.

The support from Phil is excellent and some of my requests have been
incorporated into the 2006 version and more recently into an upgrade.

As will many programs that try to suit many players, I have found some
of the features restricting and have requested changes or have developed
work arounds.

Some of my favourite features include:
Substitute teacher report - your class list and instructions for the
class are neatly printed for leaving extras.
Notes about students - work, behaviour etc.  When these are put
together, you can end up with a comprehensive view of a students work
habits.  I also added notes from P-T interviews - what did I promise and
what did parents or students request.
Student photos can be imported.
Back up is unavoidable! Regular back up is built in to the program.
At the start of the year I was able to roll over the lessons from last
year and this slotted them into place in subjects that I am teaching
again - I needed better notes for this to be effective, but it is
getting better.
Attendance marking - works well and links to student notes
Seating plans area available.
I am just starting to use the Assessment record - I am not sure if I
want to move from Excel for this yet.

I am not sure that this is the total answer at this stage, but the
support is good and I think I will continue with it.

Sue Dunlop
Geelong High School