[Year 12 IPM] Software to facilitate thinking

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 13:45:56 EST 2006

Timely Laurie, we are installing the server component of CMap on our
Moodle server next week. I love the idea of a collaborative concept
map, built online by a team of students. Way to go! :-)

One of our "Games in Education" ASISTM cluster members, Margaret
Meijers has made good use of this software in her classroom. Here is a
fantastic website made by her that illustrates how to use CMAP in the
classroom to build concept maps. Others might like to see some of the
screen grabs to visualise how a CMap project might evolve.
     http://www.newtown.tased.edu.au/computingweb/cmap/default.aspx

Being OpenSource means it is easy to adapt the code. Here is one
fascinating application where a group used it to create a dynamic,
linked diagram to illustrate and report on network traffic between
nodes. Not sure why a helicopter is part of the network but worth a
look.
    http://pf.itd.nrl.navy.mil/protools/cmap.html

Regards Roland

PS: Wild thought .. this would be an interesting way for a student to
build up a digital portfolio as embedded objects within a concept map.