[Year 12 IPM] I'm leaping into the VoIP

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Sep 19 20:25:16 EST 2005

Congratulations Mark!!

I would follow suit but unfortunately next year's Yellow Pages ads have gone in, so it would be a bit of a problem to change phone numbers. Although I could pay for redirection I guess.

Who are the service providers for VoIP? Are they existing IP's or phone companies? Do you think Optus and Telstra will eventually jump on the band wagon?

With optus cable and 2 phone lines I get one month out of three free for the cable internet  - will you still get that ? (I thought you had to have the 2 phone lines)

Do you have to have your computer and cable modem turned on all the time? Can you use an answering machine with the VoIP? Can you have call waiting? Can you have call diversion (eg divert to your mobile when you are going out?)

Also one of my lines is a dedicated fax - does VoIP cover fax lines, or just voice (ignorant aren't I!!) I guess the Vo does stand for voice! Or can you fax straight from/to your computer?

Sounds like a Very outstanding Innovative Product! Sorry for all the questions.

How are your IT numbers for next year shaping up? We have dropped 3 VCE IT classes (not because the kids have not chosen it but because 12 classes have been dropped from the VCE blocks) Also our principal is talking about integrating IT at Years 7-9. I don't think there will be anything for me to do here next year. Any jobs going for a dedicated IT teacher over there?

Cheers to all and hope you are enjoying your break! I am in agony already from a day spent gardening and knocking down rendered and hard plastered walls!

Ros Meadows (TONS)
Bentleigh SC
9579 1044
meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au

"Furious activity is no substitute for understanding." H. H. Williams