[Year 12 IPM] Another off-topic query

Michael Walker wk at cgsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 13:36:21 EST 2005

>>> Meadows, Roslyn M<Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au> 09/15/05 12:35pm >>>
>Sorry - I also forgot to mention that the Computer Network based Roll Call system allows you to print class lists, copy and paste class lists into other applications (eg Excel for your own record keeping - with the Palm Pilots I still had to type in class lists into Excel), print out your own timetable, or view or print timetables of any student or staff member within the school. Overall a fantastic resource, and with wireless connections and/or networked computers being available in all offices and many rooms this is certainly an improvement on the Palm Pilot system. And no roll monitors walking into your class - EVER!!! And year level coordinators and others know exactly where a student should be at any given time, or after recess if they have been late or absent.
>We have also done away with paper based notes from parents re: absences or lateness - now the parents must call the school before 10am to report an absence or lateness (just like when you are in the workforce!). The student is then marked as N on Roll Call by the office staff (Alex the super hero!)
>Also when there is an excursion/sport etc the list of students involved are given to Alex and he marks it on Roll Call so you know exactly who is on the excursion.
>If you need any more info on this system I can get it for you next term but I am already on Hols for now (the beauty of being 0.7!!)

Hi Ros (and everyone else)

We use Rollcall too, but we use it WITH Palm Pilots (currently Zire 21s). All the benefits you specify, although we still have the paper notes. Plus there's no groaning about having to carry a laptop around or having to fight over limited workstations to input attendances. Disbenefits at present include some technical issues with hotsyncing and convincing staff to Hotsync at recess and after school and a few other minor odds and sods. Rollcall have a website at www.rollcall.net.au and David there is pretty responsive.

Michael Walker
Canterbury Girls Sec College