[Year 12 IPM] Another off-topic query

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Sep 15 10:39:39 EST 2005

Hi Diane,
We used Palm Pilots from 2000 - 2004.  The system was easy to use except we had to hot sync at recess (so the daily absences were known), and then again after school. We also had interim reports set up for end of term 1 and term 3 (very basic - Attitude, Conduct, Classwork, Homework, Progress - choose from Excellent, Very Good, etc). Staff members have access to other class lists for extras etc.

The initial set up costs were high, batteries would run out and need replacing, Palm Pilots would be lost, CRT's did not have access to Palm Pilot and had to borrow one from another staff member, after marking the roll on paper. I still kept a paper based roll in my chronicle.

Now we have moved to a computer based roll system called Roll Call. This is a fantastic system from my point of view as I am near a computer all day, other staff members must use their laptops (wireless), or get to a computer to do the roll (which must be done by the end of recess for Period 1 and 2, then at the end of the day for Periods 4 - 6.. Roll Call also offers more functionality than the Plam Pilots as I can print a report of absences by class, by student etc, and it also allows us to do progress reports. I no longer keep a paper based roll, being able to find all information on Roll Call. Staff members have access to other class lists if they have an extra.

Overall I would give the thumbs up to the computer network Roll Call system. I am quite happy to not have to worry about where my Palm Pilot is all the time.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful break everyone

Ros Meadows
Bentleigh SC
9579 1044
meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au

"Furious activity is no substitute for understanding." H. H. Williams