[Year 12 IPM] Re: top down, bottom up and middle out

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Tue Sep 6 17:04:26 EST 2005

In brief, no.

Scanning recent end-of-year exams, not even top-down and bottom-up have
been referred to(at least since 2001) so I earnestly doubt the
problematic "middle-out" will earn a mention.

kgration at myrtlefordsc.vic.edu.au wrote:
> Hello to all on the list,
>
> After the discussion last year regarding top down, bottom up and middle out I'm still a little vague on exactly what middle out is . . . is anyone else?
>
> Is there anyone out there on the list that can clarify this for me?
>
> Are students actually supposed to know what middle out is for the exam?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kim
>
> ---
> Kim Gration
> ICT Manager
> Myrtleford Secondary College
> http://www.myrtlefordsc.vic.edu.au
>
> "Geoff Moss" <geoffmoss37 at optusnet.com.au> on Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:32:38 +1000 wrote:
>
>>Oliver
>>
>>I usually relate the issue first to something students can relate to, like
>>building a house or doing house renovations.
>>
>>With a house we adopt a top-down approach because we can plan and organise
>>resources to complete the task within a time and financial budget.
>>Obviously, planning a whole house ensures all rooms and components are as
>>compatible as possible and the resources used are common throughout.
>>
>>First the house has to be planned and the plans submitted for approval.
>>
>>The builder breaks the task into smaller tasks so he can plan the tasks for
>>each tradesman and ensure the resources are on-site when required.
>>Surveying would need to precede the site works to ensure correct location of
>>the dwelling.  Footings need to be prepared before the concrete arrives,
>>etc., etc.
>>He will arrange for the sparky to come when the frame is up to do the
>>initial wiring and then later at the finishing stages.  The plumber would be
>>required early to undertake necessary underground/underhouse works.  The
>>brickie would be called in when the bricks are on site and the frame in
>>place.  All tradesmen would be organised, delivery of materials planned to
>>be on site for the tradesmen.  These days, builders will not leave many
>>materials on site for too long before they are used.  Appliances would need
>>to be planned for delivery as near as possible to installation.
>>
>>Imagine building a house, room by room, when  time and money permits.  You
>>would not be able to ensure that the bricks, and other building materials
>>will be compatible.  Specifications and rules may change and you may need to
>>modify as you go.  Imagine plumbing connections being done on an ad hoc
>>basis.
>>
>>[This was the situation for many after WW2.  Soldiers on return had limited
>>funds and resources were scarce.  Many constructed a fibro-cement dwelling
>>themselves because builders were not available or were too costly at the
>>time.]
>>
>>Also, using the kitchen renovation, imagine doing the benches say this year,
>>plasnning the overhead cupboards nerxt year, installing a new sink later,
>>and maybe a new cook top.  Later we may decide to have combustion microwave.
> [...]

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com