[Year 12 IPM] FW: some help needed re IT enrolments

Fusinato, Margaret M fusinato.margaret.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Nov 30 09:41:29 EST 2005

I have been approached to post the information below on the IPM list for open discussion / comments. Any comments posted in open forum I am happy to forward to Catherine.

At Trafalgar the numbers of students choosing IT are definitely lower than in the past, as I have previously stated in list discussions. Next year for the first time I will be running a combined class as the number choosing Units 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 were not sufficient for a stand alone in each area. Doing the math, the take up for IPM here is less then 1% and Systems roughly 2% next year. That figure breaks down to about equal male and female in IPM and in Systems all but one student is male.

Margaret Fusinato
Trafalgar High School

________________________________

Hi Margaret,

I thought I would enlist some help from you. The first area is VCE IPM and IS enrolment statistics/proportions. I want to indicate the proportion of students who study these subjects. I have searched the VCAA website and found the 2004 stats, which are fine, and am looking just at unit 4 enrolments.

According to this site (http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/statistics/2004/statssect1.print.html) in Table 1.2 Unit results by gender and level 2004, there were 126,119 males who completed unit 4 VCE subjects, and 144,124 females.

Then on the same site, in the individual subject unit completion outcomes, we have 2222 males who completed the IS subject, and only 176 females, and in IPM 4933 males and 2384 females.

Using my calculator that means that only 1.8% of males in the state completed IS, and 0.1% of the females.

IPM is slightly better, with 4% of all VCE males and 1.7% of females.

Does that seem correct? Do you (or the VCE coordinator) get any report on where each subject sits on proportional enrolments?

It is very low.

Feel free to post my query on your teacher discussion board. I would benefit from some 'on the ground' input.

Catherine Lang

Lecturer, Faculty of ICT

Swinburne University of Technology, Hawthorn, Australia

phone: +613 9214 5884

http://www.ict.swin.edu.au/ictstaff/clang <http://www.ict.swin.edu.au/ictstaff/clang>

MACS, MACM, ACM-W Australian Ambassador

http://www.austwic.com