[Year 12 IPM] OT Electronic White Boards

Reid, Cam C reid.cam.c at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 21 17:09:08 EST 2005

I wholeheartedly agree with Joseph. What follows is a little longer than I anticipated.

We installed 6 IWBs in the College, one in each block but not in existing IT Labs. They are not just toys and personally, I don't believe they look good but the end product is well worth it for both staff and especially for students. It is sad to see some of the comments that have been sent to the list. I think those of you with a negative view on whiteboards need to visit a school that is using them and not just as a projection surface, to see the myriad options that are available for you to create innovative engaging lessons.

I know we are all really busy and "who has the time to create resources?" but the fantastic amount of sharing that is done on this list would be a great basis for sharing IWB resources. I am reasonably sure that no matter which brand of IWB you buy there is an associated web site with resources that you can take and modify for your own use; this is obviously a great time saver. Faculty areas quickly build up a set of resources that can be shared around. We have found that some resources have actually become templates for the creation of other resources ie just change the information.

Our Maths/Science area have made amazing inroads in the use of the whiteboards with their lessons. Some of the staff in this College said that it was just another gimmick and amazingly, a games machine. However, these people have observed lessons where the whiteboards have been used in conjunction with other resources and at times as the sole resource and I can say that each one of these people have changed their minds. I have very little knowledge of Maths but one of our Maths staff created an Easiteach lesson on parabolas. I have got to say, even I understood the concept without any background knowledge and that is saying something. The teacher is "over the moon" (her words) about how well this worked in her lessons and how quickly the students learned the required concepts. The engagement of the students was wonderful to observe and especially how well they helped the student who was at the whiteboard if he or she had forgotten what to do. This teacher was also gratified to see the increase in the average marks for this topic and believe me, it was not the cohort of students this semester.

There is not much research available on Secondary Schools (plenty on Primary Schools) here or in the UK but I understand that research projects are about to get under way. The iwb.net site is well worth a look before installing whiteboards. It contains a huge amount of resources from what to consider when planning, how to approach the Finance Committee and the boss through to winning over teachers and ideas/links for use in the classroom. iwb.net are running a series of "2006 Enrich Teaching Series"; a set of one day seminars that may be well worth a look if you want to know more about them and to get a good idea of how they can be used.

Finally, I think all schools need someone who is enthusiastic about the whiteboard use who can then pass this enthusiasm on. Joseph mentioned that he had created resources for his Maths classes and the interest it sparked when other staff saw them. This happened in our College. We have one staff member who had used IWBs before and was enthusiastic about their use. He had the board operating during lunchtime and would let interested students who were passing come in and use it. The same would happen with staff also or he would say "hey John, what do you think about this?"

Do have a look at them before judging their use, obviously I am a convert.

Cameron Reid
Mooroopna Secondary College