[Year 12 IPM] An Invitation to Lurkers "Teaching Machines"

Stephen Digby digby.stephen.p at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Nov 15 13:53:56 EST 2005

They should be both.
Learning is a capacity WITHIN a system or organism.  The system controls what is learnt.  IF, as a society we considered children to
be completely free, we would just allow and assist them to learn - what they wanted, when they wanted.
Teaching is a capacity of one system to develop learning within another.  For most organisms and all significant learning (at the
moment), the teaching system requires the active support of the learning system.  As a society, we have crucial interests in both
what and when children learn, so we devise social systems to encourage and coerce their active support.
As many observer continually remind us, the student systems often fail to learn the things that we want them to and often learn many
unintended knowledge, skills, and attitudes.
Such is life !
IT systems are one way of both increasing the "engagement" through extrinsic motivation (we are learning tables - but on computers
!)  and intrinsic empowerment (you can play with the reactor on screen and see what happens) etc etc
They are both teaching and learning systems (and many other things) - depending on the software loaded, the procedures and the
people involved.
One is not conceptually more important or more effective than the other.
One may be more effective with one groups of students or teaching objective.
"Horses for courses"
Stephen Digby  Ph: 98094785  diggers at netspace.net.au

If you can't afford to do something right, then be darn sure you can afford to do it wrong. - Charlie Nelson

  _____