[Year 12 IPM] An invitation to Lurkers

David Irving DIrving at monivae.vic.edu.au
Fri Nov 11 11:24:57 EST 2005

i admit it,
i, too, have been one of the lurkers. this being the first year i have taught IPM i must admit i really didn't feel i had a lot to contribute. i would like to let the more active members know what a wonderful resource i have found in this group.  unfortunately, being in a relatively small school we won't be running IPM again in 2006 so that looks likes it. i have certainly learnt a lot.

now that i am "live" i will make a couple of comments and i hope i don't offend anyone.

i did find it a bit difficult trying to teach the kids such things as the difference between "conventions" and "formats" and without this group it would have been impossible to even get the ideas somewhat clear in my own head.  it seems to me that VCAA have presented a course that relies a lot on definitions of terms which they fail to define and which may have multiple definitions depending on your source.

i also found quite a problem with past exams when there was so much dissent about the meaning of questions and the possible answers.

surely the kids have the right to a definitive answer to a clear question.

thanks to all who went to the trouble of expressing their views about the definitions of terms and the possible interpretations of questions. i can't imagine what it would be have been like for me this year without a resource like this.

thanks too to VITTA. great resources. i would have been totally lost without your VCE CD.

also thanks to Mark kelly for his website. i can't count the number of times i referred to this for clarification.

thankyou to Kevork Krozian for your time and effort.

congratulations to all.

have a great Christmas (hang in there)

david

David Irving