[Year 12 IPM] RE: 2005 Exam

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Nov 10 12:49:46 EST 2005

I chose C.

Option <A> is a recipe for compatibility disaster if each store goes
their own way choosing computers.  It would only accidentally achieve
consistency.

<B> is just useless - one computer for 3 stores would be hopelessly
inefficient. Yet I suppose having only one computer would ensure
consistency (at the price of lousy efficiency).

<D>, filling in forms by hand, defeats the purpose of getting computers,
and handwriting would impede the "quality" goal.

The only option left for me was <C>.

2.2c worth, GST included.

Mark Scott wrote:
> *Anybody like to suggest what the correct response for MC Q4 was?*
>
> * *
>
> *Mark Scott*
>
> *Luther College*
>
> * *

> *Subject:* 2005 Exam
>

> A few comments:
>

> **Multi-guess section**
>

> Q4 I will be interested in what people thought was the correct response
> (I'm still not sure)
>

> Q16 and Q8 both examples of IPM-speak not used in the real world (a
> waste of time and energy?)
>

> Q5 will confuse lots of students. Is this the way to get a spread of marks?
>

> Q20 will challenge those students who are mathematically challenged.
>

> **Short answer section**
>

> Q8 will be easy for the boys, harder for the girls. What happened to
> equal opportunity?
>

> Q2 most will get wrong because they will miss one word "design". Is this
> a fair question? Are we testing their IT knowledge or their
> comprehension skills?
>

> Q1 I wonder whether "Not printing passwords on coffee cups" is an
> acceptable response.
>

> Q11 I loved the case study
>

> Q11c I suppose an acceptable response would be that this would eat into
> class time and effect student learning.
>
> BUT would our over worked stressed out teachers really be unhappy?
>

> Q11e The real world would suggest a number of correct responses. Another
> example of IPM-speak that don't reflect the real world.
>

> Q12b (ii) A tiny little box to describe an appropriate strategy for the
> ergonomic requirements for users. Most organisations have booklets pages
> and pages long dedicated to this.
>

> **Overall**
>

> Too easy and no (or hardly any) sign of project management,  networks,
> network topologies, GANNT charts, PERT charts etc
>

> Will wait with interest for the results (dec 12?) and the examiners
> report next year.
>

> Mark Scott
>
> Luther College

> Curriculum and Assessment Authority and
> http://www.vitta.org.au <http://www.vitta.org.au> - VITTA Victorian

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com