[Year 12 IPM] 2005 Exam

Mark Scott msc at staff.luther.vic.edu.au
Wed Nov 9 18:39:53 EST 2005

A few comments:

Multi-guess section

Q4 I will be interested in what people thought was the correct response (I'm still not sure)

Q16 and Q8 both examples of IPM-speak not used in the real world (a waste of time and energy?)

Q5 will confuse lots of students. Is this the way to get a spread of marks?

Q20 will challenge those students who are mathematically challenged.

Short answer section

Q8 will be easy for the boys, harder for the girls. What happened to equal opportunity?

Q2 most will get wrong because they will miss one word "design". Is this a fair question? Are we testing their IT knowledge or their comprehension skills?

Q1 I wonder whether "Not printing passwords on coffee cups" is an acceptable response.

Q11 I loved the case study

Q11c I suppose an acceptable response would be that this would eat into class time and effect student learning.
BUT would our over worked stressed out teachers really be unhappy?

Q11e The real world would suggest a number of correct responses. Another example of IPM-speak that don't reflect the real world.

Q12b (ii) A tiny little box to describe an appropriate strategy for the ergonomic requirements for users. Most organisations have booklets pages and pages long dedicated to this.

Overall

Too easy and no (or hardly any) sign of project management,  networks, network topologies, GANNT charts, PERT charts etc

Will wait with interest for the results (dec 12?) and the examiners report next year.

Mark Scott
Luther College