[Year 12 IPM] Off topic - IT surveys

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Thu May 19 14:14:47 EST 2005

Hello Debra.
Just in case this is going to start an interesting thread - and I think
that it should - I would like to put in my two bob's worth (that reveals
my age!):
I have done what you are talking about a few times over the years, and
apart from keeping bean-counters happy (and people who like to see
numbers and lists) it has been a complete waste of time.
Why do I say that? Well maybe I am exaggerating just a wee bit, but
without a REASON-FOR-BEING, PD is a waste of everyone's time, hard work
for all concerned, and produces little or no progress. Wow.
What to do then?
Glad you asked - my little theory is that, give people what they really
WANT, and what they will actually USE, in a value-adding context that
gives them instant payout, so that the ENERGY (emotional, personal and
physical) they invest is paid back many times over, THEN the PD you
provide will be worthwhile.
PD should not be a "Solution running around looking for a problem to
solve...", it should be a RESPONSE TO A NEED.
So what to do - HELP PEOPLE PERCEIVE THEIR GENUINE NEEDS (i.e. ones that
can be solved by doing a litle 'just-in-time' PD).
Inspire them by showing them how a few others achieve great things for
their classes using technology to help the kids, to better explain or
demonstrate an important concept, to research with better results, to
inspire and motivate the kids, etc etc.
Steps down off the soap-box...
Now I'll stand aside to see if others take up the challenge.
Ciao, Keith