[Year 12 IPM] video camera

John Bell john.bell at infotech.monash.edu.au
Fri Apr 22 18:18:44 EST 2005

Dear Donna

<Has anyone got any experience of such beasts?>

I haven't. It is quite a complex task analysing all the technologies and
camera features etc. For what it's worth, in relation to DV tapes,
because I have deliberately steered away from devices that don't use DV
tapes. When I was looking for a camera for personal use, the video buffs
whom I trusted assured me that the DV format provides the best quality
storage medium for digital video by far. In addition, DV tapes provide
an easy way to archive and are quite inexpensive.

After you have downloaded your mpeg or avi videos onto your computer
from your DV tape, edited these re-rendered and burned your edited
copies to DVD, CD or VCD format those little tapes still provide the
best quality archival media and remain your master copy.

I am also hear that if one were to try to tip what storage medium for
digital video technology will be around for the longest, the DV seems to
get the thumbs up from all the experts  .....

(I have a Canon mvx250i  that I use for home and family use and I am
very happy with the DV approach)

Good luck with this,

John Bell

Senior Project Manager	Repository Services
Faculty of IT		Monash University
Office: (03) 9904-4060 	Mob: 0417 354 479
Fax: (03) 9904-4011