[elearning] [Informatics] iPad vs laptop

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 00:19:02 UTC 2019

Not entirely a bad place to post, I have noticed that the VCE list does a good job of diving into the issues. Another good Edulist worth subscribing to is eLearning <eLearning at edulists.com.au>.

At Keysborough several years ago that by supplying most of the books on our booklist  via an iPad (Maths, History, English, LOTE, Science and our own books) this was a big enough saving to justify switching over. Instant on (and off) feature, light-weight and long battery life was really handy.  Laid flat on the table, iPads were really easy to keep kids on task. By contrast to other schools, we didn’t expect to do ‘everything' on the iPad. Probably easier now that websites and LMS are increasingly mobile friendly, I could even code in Python using the Grok Learning website. If you wanted something fancy, you just swapped into the remaining computer lab (music).Later, students would add a netbook compooter in year 10 and and a BYOD option for year 12. Not sure if they still do this.  At the time it didn’t feel like a zero sum game, both iPad and Netbook options had their merits and champions. Was sad to see the labs (and some middle school digitech courses) being disassembled.

--
Roland GESTHUIZEN
http://about.me/rgesthuizen